Saltsjobaden, 26 May 2005
Assalamu'alaikum wr wbr.
THE CONCLUSION OF THE GAM-ACHEH CIVIL SOCIETY
MEETING OF 23 AND 24 MAY 2005
The representatives of the Acheh Civil Society
Saltsjobaden - SWEDIA.
POSITION STATEMENT OF THE ACHEH CIVIL SOCIETY AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE GAM-ACHEH CIVIL SOCIETY MEETING OF 23 AND 24 MAY 2005
The representatives of the Acheh Civil Society:
1. Support the peaceful, just and dignified solution of the conflict in Acheh, in accordance with the decisions of the Indonesia House of Representatives (TAP-TAP MPR RI), the aspiration of the Achehnese people and the wish of the international community.
2. Do not agree with the often expressed opinions and attitude of certain politicians in Indonesia aimed at limiting the intensity of the dialogue to solve the Acheh conflict, which go against the said decisions of the MPR-RI, the aspirations of the Achehnese people and the wish of the international community.
3. Request GAM to be consistent with its traditional position of preferring dialogues at the conference table with the Government of Indonesia (GoI) in finding a solution to be conflict in Acheh.
4. Support the international community direct involvement, by manpower and/or financing in the reconstruction projects in Acheh after the tsunami, with the participation of the Achehnese people, be they from Acheh itself or from abroad.
5. Urge the GAM and GoI to agree on ending the hostilities in Acheh in their Round IV negotiations in Helsinki.
6. Appeal to the international community, be they governments, NGOs or other donor institutions to make ceasefire a pre-condition to the financing of recontruction, rehabilitation and recovery efforts in Acheh; this in order to maintain their effectiveness and optimisation.
7. Request the GoI to free immediately and unconditionally all conflict related
detainess and prisoners.
8. Urge the GoI and GAM to assure freedom of speech for the civil population in Acheh.
Saltsjobaden, Sweden, 24 May 2005