Stockholm, 26 May 2005
STATEMENT BY PNA/ASNLF AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE GAM-ACHEH CIVIL SOCIETY MEETING OF 23 AND 24 MAY 2005
Stockholm - SWEDIA.
STATE OF ACHEH MINISTRY OF INFORMATION P.O. BOX 130, S-145 01 NOSBORG SWEDEN TEL : +46 8 531 83833 FAX: +46 8 531 91275
Statement by the Government of Acheh (PNA/ASNLF) at the conclusion of the GAM-Acheh Civil Society Meeting of 23 and 24 May 2005
The Free Acheh Movement (GAM) would like to express its appreciation for the constructive critical input to its role in the Helsinki peace talks offered by representatives of Acheh Civil society at the GAM-Civil Society Meeting held at Var Gard, Sweden on 23 and 24 May 2005.
This meeting between GAM and Acheh Civil Society representatives was made possible by the generous support of Sweden´s Olof Palme International Center, as a part of its promotion of peace, democratisation and human rights.
GAM endorses calls by Acheh Civil Society representatives for a negotiated political solution to end the Acheh conflict, and calls on the Government of Indonesia to respect and follow these wishes of the Achehnese people.
In particular, GAM is encouraged by Acheh Civil Society´s support for the Helsinki peace process.
GAM therefore calls on the Government of Indonesia to show its good faith by continuing the process of trying to find a negotated politifal settlement through the Helsinki peace process, to immediately order its armed forces to terminate hostilities, and to respect the democratic right of the Achehnese people to live in peace and dignity.
24 May 2005
POSITION STATEMENT OF THE ACHEH CIVIL SOCIETY AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE GAM-ACHEH CIVIL SOCIETY MEETING OF 23 AND 24 MAY 2005
The representatives of the Acheh Civil Society:
1. Support the peaceful, just and dignified solution of the conflict in Acheh, in accordance with the decisions of the Indonesia House of Representatives (TAP-TAP MPR RI), the aspiration of the Achehnese people and the wish of the international community.
2. Do not agree with the often expressed opinions and attitude of certain politicians in Indonesia aimed at limiting the intensity of the dialogue to solve the Acheh conflict, which go against the said decisions of the MPR-RI, the aspirations of the Achehnese people and the wish of the international community.
3. Request GAM to be consistent with its traditional position of preferring dialogues at the conference table with the Government of Indonesia (GoI) in finding a solution to be conflict in Acheh.
4. Support the international community’s direct involvement, by manpower and/or financing in the reconstruction projects in Acheh after the tsunami, with the participation of the Achehnese people, be they from Acheh itself or from abroad.
5. Urge the GAM and GoI to agree on ending the hostilities in Acheh in their Round IV negotiations in Helsinki.
6. Appeal to the international community, be they governments, NGOs or other donor institutions to make ceasefire a pre-condition to the financing of recontruction, rehabilitation and recovery efforts in Acheh; this in order to maintain their effectiveness and optimisation.
7. Request the GoI to free immediately and unconditionally all conflict related Achehnese
detainess and prisoners.
8. Urge the GoI and GAM to assure freedom of speech for the civil population in Acheh.
Saltsjobaden, Sweden, 24 May 2005